Let's Try This Again.... This Time, With Chipotle!

Thursday, August 21, 2014

















Ok, I admit it.
I suck at this whole “blogging” thing.

I wish I could say I had a great excuse for not posting in a while, like “I was backpacking across Europe with the Italian rugby team” or “I was deep-sea exploring for National Geographic and found the lost city of Atlantis” or even “I was discovered while buying paper towels at Target and just wrapped up fashion week in Milan while walking the runway for Gucci.”    Anything, really, besides the truth: that life has been a rather crazy whirlwind of appointments, kanzashi orders, and exotic events like “doing laundry” and “vacuuming the house.” 

Woo.

Not that these events haven’t been thrilling (I mean, you haven’t really LIVED until you’ve spent a half hour trying to figure out why you put seven pairs of socks in the machine and ended up taking six-and-a-half pairs from the dryer.  Personally, I blame dryer gnomes), but they aren’t exactly blog-worthy.   And while there have been some notable events in between, which I’m sure I’ll tell you about in upcoming posts, life in general has been one big flurry of normalcy that has been somewhat less than inspiring when it comes to sharing with the world.

I aim to remedy that, though.

I’m going to try to make an effort to post more often, both to prove that I’m still alive and also to share some more tips, tricks, and fun recipes.  Like the one I’m posting today, which is one of my favorite ones to make for Reuben since it takes advantage of the amazing farmer’s market produce that’s in season and also tastes just like the stuff you buy at Chipotle.

Yes, I said Chipotle. 
Bigger-than-your-head-burrito Chipotle.  
$8-per-Burrito-but-holy-cow-is-this-good Chipotle.   And if a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, consider this a secret weapon of looooove

I present to you:  Copycat Chipotle Spicy Corn Salsa.

This stuff is addicting, amazing, and (somehow) still low-calorie enough that you can put down the entire bowl (*cough, cough*) without guilt.   You can adjust how spicy you like it by adding more or fewer Jalapenos, and can use fresh corn (in the summer) or canned/frozen (thaw it first, duh) corn in the winter months.    The restaurant uses it to top their burritos, but around here it’s used as a side dish or, heck, even a main course.   It’s especially great on hot days, when you don’t feel like turning on the oven. 

And did I mention, guys go nuts over this stuff? 

Delicious.  Low calorie.  Crazy cheap. 

You’re welcome.  




Copycat Chipotle’s Corn Salsa
Adapted from howsweeteats.com 
1 12-ounce bag of frozen sweet yellow corn, defrosted and drained (or 2 cans of corn, drained, or about 4-6 medium ears of fresh corn, cooked and cut off the cob) [See note*]
2 medium-sized jalapenos, seeded and chopped (heat can be adjusted by adding more or less)
1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped 
3/4 cup fresh cilantro, torn or chopped
the juice of 2 limes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix, mix, mix. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Add more cilantro, jalapeno or lime according to your tastes!  (Personally, we love extra black pepper and cilantro).
*Note: if you use canned corn, either use the no-salt-added kind or adjust the salt added to taste. 


share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply